- Uses the new Subaru Global Platform for significantly enhanced safety, ride comfort and agility
- All models come standard with newly-developed 2.0-litre direct injection SUBARU BOXER engine and Subaru symmetrical full-time all-wheel drive
- Introduction of X-MODE offers extra control in extra slippery situations
- Rugged and sporty styling follows Subaru’s DYNAMIC x SOLID design philosophy while greatly enhancing interior and exterior appeal
- EyeSight driver assist technology delivers outstanding preventative safety
(MISSISSAUGA) - Subaru Canada, Inc. (SCI) is pleased to announce that the all-new 2018 Crosstrek was unveiled today at the 2017 Geneva International Motor Show.
The 2018 Subaru Crosstrek is a crossover SUV that combines a compact body, SUV capability based on the Subaru symmetrical full-time all-wheel drive, and rugged yet sporty design that offers versatility in both urban areas and the outdoors. This is the first redesign for the Crosstrek, which initially launched in Canada for the 2013 model year as the XV Crosstrek, but now simply goes by ‘Crosstrek’ in Canada. For the 2018 model year, the Crosstrek moves to the new Subaru Global Platform to provide drivers with enhanced body and chassis rigidity and strength. It also offers world-class collision safety and hazard avoidance performance, as well as more responsive handling and ride comfort while enhancing the Crosstrek’s unique design and all-road/all-weather capability.
2018 Subaru Crosstrek
The Subaru Crosstrek’s rugged yet sporty exterior design was achieved through strategic use of the DYNAMIC x SOLID design philosophy.
- The Crosstrek’s wide and low stance is heightened by a sporty exterior and a unified three-dimensional structure that extends from the grille through to the hawk-eye headlights. The front, sides and rear of the vehicle all unite into a solid form, while the strong shape of the hexagonal grille and the matte black cladding that runs from the front bumper, over the wheel arches and side sills, to the rear bumper, express both functionality and a rugged character.
- Dynamism is given to the solid body surface through the rich inflection of character that extends from the front fender to the door panels and rear shoulder, and continues with the line that rises energetically toward the rear from the lower door panel. The powerful fender flares express the reliability of full-time symmetrical all-wheel drive.
- The rear combination lights share the same wide and low motif as the headlights. Revised rear combination lights and a strong shoulder silhouette enhance the sporty impression which, when combined with the black roof spoiler and matte-black cladding on a rear bumper, emphasize the Subaru Crosstrek’s versatile character.
- The new model combines the Subaru performance essentials of superior aerodynamics and visibility with advanced styling.
- Newly designed aluminum wheels embody the Subaru Crosstrek’s sporty, casual and rugged character.
- New exterior colours on offer include a vivid and solid Cool Gray Khaki and Sunshine Orange, both of which mesh well with the matte-black cladding, highlighting the vehicle’s active and functional image.
- The combination of sporty, advanced design and sophisticated construction, delivers an interior that far surpasses its class.
- The spacious design flows from the instrument panel through the door trim for a feeling of refinement.
- The seat structures provide a better fit for all passengers while the grey colour enhances the model’s active character.
- In the centre of the instrument panel is an 8.0-inch touch-screen display for the infotainment system that also offers smartphone connectivity.
- Detailed orange stitching on the instrument panel complements the quality look.
- The signature Subaru touches have been further strengthened, including excellent all-round visibility, a spacious cabin and versatile cargo room.
- The newly designed steering wheel offers better drivability and a more responsive driving feel.
Body & Chassis
The new Subaru Crosstrek achieves new levels of driving performance, based on a thorough and precise analysis of steering and pedal feedback, vehicle behaviour, vibration, noise, and all the other elements that the driver senses. As well, the rough road capability essential for an SUV has been even further enhanced.
- The new Subaru global platform dramatically increases rigidity throughout the body and chassis (by 70-100% over last year’s models) and substantial improvements to the suspension system, together with a lower centre of gravity, allow for highly responsive and precise steering. By getting rid of unnecessary movement in handling, the Crosstrek provides superior straight-line stability and cornering performance while maintaining 220 mm of ground clearance.
- An optimized frame structure and stronger joints between parts allow the new platform to improve overall torsional rigidity by 70% compared to earlier models. This distributes the resonance and distortion throughout the body, greatly reducing vibrations from the steering wheel, floor and seats. The Crosstrek achieves a level of quietness that goes beyond its vehicle class.
- The global platform increases the rigidity of the suspension mounting for a smoother and more comfortable drive. By mounting the rear stabilizer bar directly to the body, body roll is reduced by 50 percent compared to present models.
- The steering gear ratio has improved from 14:1 to 13:1, offering superior drivability for a precise driving feel.
- Active Torque Vectoring enhances turning and steering performance.
Power and Control
- Approximately 80% of the FB 2.0-litre direct-injection SUBARU BOXER engine has been completely revamped, making the new engine lighter and delivering more power and fuel economy.
- The improved Lineartronic CVT system greatly enhances ratio coverage and lightness to boost acceleration performance and fuel economy. As well as employing full auto-step shift control, the Subaru Crosstrek features a 7-speed manual mode function that allows the driver to accelerate as desired.
- Noise and vibration have been greatly reduced through both engine and transmission improvements.
- In addition to Subaru’s unique full-time symmetrical all-wheel drive system, the new Subaru Crosstrek is equipped with X-MODE that enhances driving performance on poor roads through integrated control of the engine, AWD system, braking and other functions on slippery surfaces. As well, Hill Descent Control gives drivers greater peace of mind by allowing them to maintain low speeds on downhill slopes.
Subaru’s safety performance continues to be rated extremely high by third-party organizations and the new Subaru Crosstrek has adopted technologies that further enhance its safety.
- The new global platform achieves a centre of gravity that is 5 mm lower than present models. Together with major improvements in rigidity and the evolution of the suspension system, this lower centre of gravity provides the driver with exceptional control leading to outstanding hazard avoidance capabilities that are on par with high-performance sports cars.
- With a frame that more efficiently absorbs energy during a collision and body strength enhanced by high-tensile steel plates, including materials formed by the hot press method, impact energy absorption has improved by 40 percent over present models.
Full-perimeter Preventative Safety
Subaru’s all-around approach to safety also includes available preventative safety features to help avoid a collision from happening in the first place.
- EyeSight: Subaru’s innovative and highly acclaimed driver assist technology, delivers extremely reliable preventive safety and reduces the burden on the driver, through features such as Pre-Collision Braking Control, Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keep Assist.
- A new High Beam Assist feature that employs a monocular camera to automatically switch from high beam to low beam when necessary.
- Steering Responsive Headlights that move the beam right or left when turning at corners and intersections to illuminate the direction of travel, dramatically improving both nighttime visibility and EyeSight’s recognition capabilities.
- The Subaru Rear/Side Vehicle Detection system that enhances all-round preventative safety, with Blind Spot Detection, Lane Change Assist and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Body size (length x width x height)
4,465 x 1,800 x 1,615 mm
Minimum ground clearance
FB20 type 2.0-liter, DOHC, horizontally-opposed, 4-cylinder, direct injection, NA
Bore x stroke
84 x 90 mm
Full-time symmetrical AWD
About Subaru Canada, Inc.
Subaru Canada, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. of Japan. Headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, the company markets and distributes Subaru vehicles, parts and accessories through a network of 92 authorized dealers across Canada. For more information, please visit www.subaru.ca or www.pr.subaru.ca or follow @Subaru_Canada on Twitter.